Monday, November 10, 2008

Agastache (for beginning gardeners)

(first in a series of postings found under the label: beginners)

Whenever I read an article whose target audience is beginning gardeners and whose topic focus is perennials for beginners, I am appalled at the same old, tired recommendations: Enchinea, Rudbeckia, and Sedum. Of course I understand the reasoning, these are easy to grow, fairly fail-proof perennials. They are lovely. I have several types of each in my own gardens. But, please! Give them a much deserved rest. Especially when there are so many other equally as easy to grow choices.

At the top of my list is Agastache. I can't imagine trying to cultivate cottage garden style beds agastache cana sinningwithout it. I use it extensively throughout my gardens for three reasons: 1) abundant, constant color, 2) quick to establish lush fullness and 3) upright growth habit. Most species of Agastache are tall, growing between 15 and 36 inches. My first introduction to this genus was the species Agastache Cana Sinning. Superbly outstanding to any other beginner's perennial I've ever tried. Sinning, once established, is both drought and heat tolerant. It reaches an average height of 18 inches. I like to plant Sinning in the middle of my beds. Give it some room. It becomes full and lush very quickly. It's best attribute is its constant, abundant color. Sinning produces lovely lavender-rose hued flowers that bloom all summer.

My favorite of the Agastache Cana is Heather Queen. It produces bright pink sprays of non-stop blossoms from summer until the first fall frost. Heather Queen is tall, between 30 and 36 inches and is extremely hardy. I plant it in my gardens' sunniest locations. agastache cana heather queenBy the end of August, it is spilling over and through the picket fence. Breathtaking. I can count on it to look fresh when other flowers are wilting under the summer sun.


Agastache has many admirable attributes. It requires no deadheading to stay in bloom. Bees, hummingbirds, and butterflies are highly attracted by it. The foliage is pungently fragrant, giving off a licorice scent when touched. Most varieties will thrive in poor soils as long as they have adequate drainage.


A word of caution: not all Agastache are winter hardy above zone 5. Check with your own local nursery to see which species is right for your area. I buy mine at the Family Tree Nursery, a full service garden center providing zone 5 plants for Kansas City gardeners.

1 comment:

  1. Another great job and love the information you give out. It should be helpful to all that see it. Love the pictures.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete