Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Estate Sale Procurement

New or used? Most of the time I apply the philosophy that new isn't always better, it's just more expensive. Let me say, right from the start, I don't apply that philosophy to power equipment. When I'm laying out big bucks, as I did last year for my commercial grade mower, I want to be the only owner and I want a warranty backing up my purchase. I do, however, apply that philosophy to a myriad of other items I buy for my gardens.

As a personal preference, I rarely stop at garage sales unless I know the person holding the sale is a gardener. If I want to dig round in an unorganized jumble of cast-off paraphernalia, I can do so in my own basement. Likewise, I'm not a big fan of auctions. The waiting around for my item to come up on the block and then losing it to a higher bidder is not only a waste of my time but is also downright annoying. For those reasons, I'm a conniseur of the estate sale venue only.

So let's get right to it. There are four distinct areas of a property to search during an estate sale: 1) the garage, 2) the shed and/or barn if the property has one, 3) the back yard, and 4) don't forget to take a look around the furnace or the hot water heater where many a good gardening tool hides in a layer of dusty cobwebs.

lawn furnitureBack in the day when my gardening appetite was turning from hobby into obsession, I happened upon a lovely old wheelbarrow and purchased it for five dollars. At the time I assumed it was thirty, maybe forty years old because of its rugged steel frame construction and hardwood handles. I've pushed it around for close to a decade now and the only repair it's needed was a tire replacement. The old one dry rotted.

Then there's my two favorite hand-held tools, my turning fork and my furrow hoe, (at least that's what I call the latter because the metal implement at the end of its long wooden handle is shaped like a golf putter and cuts a neat furrow in a garden row), both found at estate sales. Much to my dismay, but after many years of loyal service, my turning fork broke. I'm actually thinking of replacing it with a brand new implement. I've got my eye on the Radius Garden NRG Pro Border Fork because of its ergonomic design and its rugged all-steel construction. It's the only one on the market that I think could keep the dogged pace of my old turning fork.

If tools aren't enough of a reason to brake for estate sales, what about putting the car in park for outdoor furniture? Early in the summer, I bought a five piece patio set for $47.50---that's four swivel rockers and a table. I had been considering two new resin wicker rockers and a matching table to the tune of $500. I feel I got a better deal.

wheelbarrow Putting money aside, how cute is this set??? Love those quirky little clam-shaped chairs. The round rings at the bottom for balance of both chairs and table, compliment the circular structure of the gazebo. All summer long, we enjoyed this quiet retreat for just pennies on the dollar. Nice.

Because cottage gardening is an ecclectic mixing of many elements, annuals, perennials, shrubs, and even small trees in one garden bed, there needs to be an occasional anchor to give the look stability. Estate sales are a great place to find those objects that draw and demand our attention. My slat-back rocking chair was well weathered when I acquired it. Many people had passed right by it without as much as a cursory glance on their way through the front door. As I stopped to appraise its intrinsic value, I heard a woman behind me exclaim, "Oh, yuck!" Immediately the hair on the back of my neck began to bristle and I felt compelled to drocker with plantsefend it. Ten well spent dollars later, my maligned friend's dignity was restored as it rode away from the sale in the back of our truck. The worn gray wood will never again hold paint but it has no problem at all holding an overflowing basket of brilliant blooms every spring. Sweet!

There are so many other great estate sale finds that I could go on and on. I won't. Here's the short list: wire baskets, old tin buckets, cast iron pot dollies, wooden flower boxes, concrete statuary, and last but not least, those obtuse but wonderful old metal storage cabinets that are great for keeping garden supplies safe and dry.

New or used? The choice for me is evident without further reasoning.

2 comments:

  1. Jenn,

    Love the pictures and the comments and it should encourage others that love to garden to get busy and give them several new ideas. Keep up the good work. You know I'm behind you 100+%.

    Love ya, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, Experienced goods!

    Michelle and I love them, it's the way to go!!

    NEVER PAY RETAIL!!!

    Good Job!!

    Thank alot Jenn.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete