Friday, October 24, 2008

Inconsistent Favoritism

My husband accuses me of being quite fickle when it comes to the naming of my favorite flower. In the early spring, I'm enthralled with my azaleas. A few weeks later, my adoration shifts to the peonies planted along the south wall of our garage. Then, of course, there's the iris, the clematis, the rose, all of which he's heard me exclaim in terms of preferential exclusion. (I'm only slightly offended when he laughs out loud at my inability to make a decision.)

In my own defense, I'm steadfast in my devotion to flower color. I'm crazy for pink in all its hues and variations. Recently, I read an article on this subject and learned the color pink is favored by most gardeners. To narrow the scope further, the hue of pink I desire most in a flower is the bubblegum pink of the Pink Double Delight Echinacea. Awesome! In summation, pink flowers rock my world.

And then the Jacobean lily blooms . . .

Jacobean Lily
Okay, red is definitely not my favorite flower color. It doesn't even reign in as a close second (I prefer purple in terms of color succession) but, there's something very alluring about the vibrancy of the Jacobean lily, sprekelia formosissima. How to describe it?

Movie-star, lipstick red?

Sexy little red dress red?

Sports car red?

One way or another, the color is visually seductive. When it blooms in early July, all the other flowers in the garden suddenly pale in comparison.

A member of the amaryllis family, the Jacobean lily is a native of Mexico and Guatemala, z13-15, according to my bible: The American Horticultural Society A-Z encyclopedia of Garden Plants. So, when I was able to cultivate this bulb in z5, I deemed it short of miraculous. However, upon further research, I learned that many gardeners have had success cultivating it in z8-10. Nevertheless, I'm still z5, right? Turns out there's nothing all that unique about my gardening prowess. There's a guy in Nebraska, z4, who propagates this species in his garden on a yearly basis. He does admit to digging the bulbs before a killing frost and storing them in his basement.

Not to toot my own horn, but I never lift my bulbs from the ground or disturb them in any way because sprekelia, in its own right, has a capricious nature and might refuse to bloom the following season. So how does such a fickle flower survive in my garden in z5? Purely by fluke.

I was in WalMart a few years back and spring bulbs in their garden department were on 75% off clearance. The photograph of the sprekelia on the package caught my eye although the package itself was devoid of propagation information. At four bulbs for a dollar, I threw zone discretion to the wind and bought them. I rushed home and immediately consulted my bible (AHS A-Z) and much to my chagrin, discovered my newly purchased bulbs preferred undisturbed ground in a warm winter climate.

So be it. At that time, nothing much was growing under the dryer vent on the south side of my house so I dug a hole and unceremoniously tossed them in. A few flowerless sprigs of strap-like foliage unfurled from the ground that season.

Truthfully, by the next spring, I'd forgotten about those bulbs until I noticed their green fronds pushing up through the cypress mulch. By planting them in such an arid spot, I had accidentally assimilated their natural climate. The Jacobean lily has been growing and blooming there ever since.

So is the Jacobean lily my favorite flower? When its in full bloom in July, it is.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooo Your favorite color for flowers are the most perfect shades of Blush and Bashful!!!

    Probably looks like somebody has strewn Pepto-Bismol all over your yard!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to try this again. This was supposed to be done yesterday and the comment deleted was because this is all Greek to me.

    This whole blog, contents and what you have done is all just so amazing. Love the way you've done it and especially love the picture of Lu as he's part of this endeaver as well. This is my first time in seeing any blgs so it's a whole new world.

    Have to agree with you about favorite flower, there are so many depending on the season and what is blooming. You ave always had so many different types that has always amazed me with their beauty and what you have beena ble to get from them. Was really surprised to read the Jacobean lily should be in a different zone yet the pictures I've seen were magnificent and all this on sale for 4 bulbs for $1. Whatever works is what you ave always done and it shows with the abundance of plants and colors throughout your whole area. JOB WELL DONE>

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since this is later than it should be will respond here for the other days as well -- Food Pantry Gardening. This is another of your passions and you have been BLESSED over and over with rewards for so many. Again love your putting the pictures in here as it shows everyone what is and the scope of your garden and just some of the produce you donated from there as well. Since I was priviledged to receive food pantry donation emails as they happened was floored to get the totals here on your blog -- none of this was reaped without help from the Man above. As we've said before be careful of what you wish/ask for, you just might get it and more and youmost certainly did. Even 1,372 beautiful pink girl tomatoes. If only a few other gardeners did like you then the food pantries wouldn't have a problem.

    A Time to be Dormat -- I personally know that generally this time of year is always a very said time for you until it is time again for you to get back outside. Hopefully this year it won't be as bad though.

    I'm proud to call you my friend and look forward to more Along the Picket Fence news. Love ya, Pat

    ReplyDelete