Monday, February 9, 2009

Peat Pots, Red Onion Sets, and Goldfish Sightings: A definite prelude to spring


More days like this past Saturday cannot happen soon enough! There's nothing like 70 degree weather in February to make one yearn for an early spring. I wasn't the only one that really seemed appreciative of a winter's reprieve. Our goldfish were spotted sunning themselves in the shallows at pond's edge. Although not as prolific in number as in last summer's picture above, a sizable group had gathered and appeared to be fairing the winter well.


Funny enough, before there were goldfish and koi, we were told by more than one person that these type of fish wouldn't live in our septic pond much less breed in it. So much for listening to the experts. I knew when aquatic plant and wildlife began making our pond their home, mainly cattails and tadpoles, goldfish would surely survive. We started out by purchasing 4 dozen two years ago and last spring the population had tripled if not quadrupled.


The same warmth that brought the goldfish to the surface drove me to the garden supply. I've been sitting on my hands, trying to practice diligent patience. I know that I can't start my vegetable seedlings just yet. But that didn't stop me from purchasing those peat pots I love so much. Just walking into the supply store was pure heaven for me. As soon as I opened the door, the smell of spring hit me full in the face---the earthy scents of peat pots, bulk grass seed, bagged soil, and fertilizer---fragrant!


And then I spotted the onion sets. I think every gardener has their nemesis. Mine of course is the onion. I've tried and tried to grow them to no avail. If they grow at all, they are pathetically puny. I know this and have sworn off ever trying again---however, the drone of spring tricked me into believe my growing talents are invincible. Alongside the several dozen peat pots I purchased was a mesh bag of red onion sets.


I'm going to try one last attempt to raise the pungent but elusive little fellows. My bright idea is to get them started in the house in peat pots and then transplant them in the ground after the fear of our first frost is past. By then, they should be viable plants with beautiful, long green spiky foliage, right? I'll keep you posted on their progress!