Monday, March 23, 2009

A Kansas City Spring (2009)

I've been a bit indisposed for a couple of weeks as I wrangled with some health issues but I'm back and looking forward to an early spring---apprehensively. I'm well aware that all these lovely warm temperatures and balmy days, which have tricked all my perennials to emerge from the ground, could disappear in a matter of minutes. Let's hope its just the beginning of a perfect early spring.


So what's happening? I spent most of the morning transplanting eggplant seedlings. I started them in the one inch peat trays first and now they are in three inch peat pots. The next transplanting will be from the indoors to the garden beds. I have some lovely tomato plants in various stages of growth. This year, besides the pink girls that are my old stand by and favorite tomato, I've got pink oxheart, yellow jubliee, and amana orange growing. I'm anxious to see how these do. My grandmother used to grow a gorgeous yellow tomato the size of a beefsteak but unfortunately, I didn't get the name. If anyone knows what a tomato of that description might be called, please email me!

The star magnolia are in full bloom around the city. The top picture is of the star magnolia I have in my own yard. It's just a baby, no more than two feet tall but it bloomed so lovely this spring. Of course the forsythia add their sunshine yellow flowers to the mix. Here in the Midwest, it's the forsythia and the daffodils that tell us spring has sprung! Down in our orchard, the nanking cherries and the nectarines have blossomed. It won't be long before the other magnolia---Susan, Jane, etc., will be popping. Both my Susan and Jane are unfurling from soft gray buds into deep purple/pink blossoms. The peonies are beginning to show now as well.

But, its also a time when we'd love to start planting those tender annuals. To quell that urge until I'm a bit more positive the weather will stay warm, I indulge in shopping for new gardening paraphernalia. Last weekend, David and I spent some time in our local garden stores. It's a blast to see what new and innovative things are on the market each spring. I found a lovely hummingbird feeder and a couple of urns for my front porch.

Interesting enough, at one place I found allium bulbs that had not sold last fall. I'm not certain if these bulbs experienced any real cold so as to be overwintered but they were starting to grow and I just couldn't leave them to rot. I planted 25 bulbs in among my boxwoods around the front sidewalk. If they grow, they'll be a spectacular sight.

And last but not least, my ornamental sweet potato vines are starting to take off. They can be very slow so be patient. Mine have been planted for three weeks and yet every day a new start emerges. So far I have seven Marguerite, six Ace of spades, and one Blackie. Another plant that has done very well is the oxalis I brought in last fall. Wow is it growing! I can hardly wait to drag out all the hanging baskets and the planters.