Wednesday, June 3, 2009

After a Long Hiatus: What's Been Happening in the Gardens of Blessing Hill





















I apologize for May's postings falling short. A lot happened in the two, almost three weeks, since I last posted. First and foremost, I killed my digital camera. It was and has been far more painful for me than for the camera, I assure you. I bought a new digital camera and I hate it. I hate everything about the Kodak MD1063. The one I killed was a Kodak MD853---beautiful pictures, compatible software, easy to use. The new MD1063 is a pain in every way. Less than stellar pictures, one problem after another with the software, blah, blah, blah. The above picture was taken with it. My old MD853 was only 8.2 megapixels and it captured far better detail than the MD1063 which is 10.3 mp. So much for newer technology. (Above picture: Lilium asiaticum Tiny Bee)

Maybe you're interested in how I killed the camera . . . oh well, even if you're not---I left it outside and it rained. Apparently circuit boards and water don't mix! I was taking pictures of my new potting shed as it was being raised, which brings me to the next reason I've been gone so long. Although I wasn't much help, I did try to assist David in the construction of my 12' X 14' potting shed. (I'll follow with another posting devoted solely to that issue when the potting shed is completed.) Our neighbor and his son-in-law helped David with the worst of it, two large windows and a set of French doors. I did some hammering here and there but David really was on his own with it. I'm still having health problems that kept me from participating as fully as I would have liked. Anyway, it wasn't all work and no play. David and I did hit some nurseries while he was on vacation, trips which resulted in the planting of 15 new trees! (pictured: Lonicera Gold Flame)

Of course, while building the potting shed, we had some of the hottest weather thus far this season. High humidity and unseasonable heat made for interesting building as well. But, that's nothing new for us. A few years ago, when we built our back deck, we did so in triple digit temps. Back to the heat---I was watering a patch of large, dense hosta on the north side of said deck when baby rabbits began popping out of the foliage like ping pong balls from a lottery machine. To say I was surprised is an understatement. Remember my good friend and garden buddy, Lu? Why any moma rabbit would think it was a good idea to birth her babies inside the very enclosure that keeps my 100 pound dog from freely running the neighborhood is anyone's guess. (pictured: Achilles x Moonshine)





This morning I woke up to a 57 degree chill. For all my there's-n0-such-thing-as-global-warming buddies, please tell me the last time you remember temps in the 50's in June. It also rained last night. I'm not complaining on the behalf of my flowers and veggies. My gracious its great not to be manning the water hose each and every day. It's made for beautiful lush foliage and amazing flowers thus far this season. However, the over abundance of moisture is not all grand. Many in our state have been flooded. Damage to property is widespread. Luckily for us, we live on high ground but the constance of moisture in the ground killed a five year old althea tree on the west side of our house. I'd planted two, one on either side of our back deck. It's mate is fairing better although it has many leafless branches. It made me sick to loose it but I consider myself lucky in that it's all I lost.

The cool temps have been great for transplanting. I relocated some Husker Red penstemon. They had grown into nothing short of bushes, three feet by three feet, and were blocking the view of my shrub roses in the courtyard. Moving perennials that large without




















separating can be risky but they are fairing well in their new home. The vegetable garden is growing leaps and bounds. Only the carrots and the peppers are complaining about the temps, especially the peppers. But, we are overflowing with radishes. My tomatoes are blooming and setting on. The cabbages are heading. Everywhere something is getting greener and bigger. It won't be long until its time to load boxes to go to the food pantry. Which reminds me, if you've got an abundance of veggies this season, don't forget those who have not.

On a parting note, in October, we'll have lived at this residence for five years. It seems like the time has flown by and yet I can mark the years in structures---the house, the rose arbor and fencing, the barn, the gazebo, and the potting shed. All this time, I've been trying to think of a suitable and yet seemingly natural name for this property. As you may have gleaned from the title of this posting, it's finally come to me:


Blessing Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment