Tuesday, June 9, 2009

For What Didn't Bloom This Spring: Phosphate = Flowers






















I planted my first wisteria the spring of 2005 and the second wisteria the fall of 2006. Imagine my distress when one spring after another came and went without either vine producing one skimpy bloom. Now, compound that disappointment with a Robinson crabapple and four white dogwood trees that also refused to bloom. The common denominator in this varied problem is cold, wet soil. Phosphorus becomes less available to plants, shrubs, and trees when the soil is clay and the temperatures at bloom time are cold.

The soil on our property is beyond poor. I can dig down two inches and come up with a spade full of orange yuck. When we plant anything, we dig the hole twice as big as need be and back fill it with compost. This gives new roots a chance to get going before they contend with the crud. Unfortunately, new roots have to get there eventually and when they meet the clay, the absorption of crucial minerals diminishes.

This spring I was determined to see blooms on my wisteria. The first of March I began dosing my wisteria with ferti-lome Blooming & Rooting Soluble Plant Food. It has a ratio of 9-59-8, ---59% phosphate derived from ammonium and potassium phosphate. I gave each wisteria three good doses and I had a really nice showing of blooms. I'd given my Robinson crabapple and four white dogwood trees only one dose. I managed to get a few weak blooms. That's okay. I now know how to rectify the problem.

I began reading up on phosphate and learned that I should top dress (sprinkle around the drip or root line) my gross feeders with super phosphate in the fall. Gross feeders include peonies, crape myrtles, lilacs, iris, crabapples, dogwoods, and wisteria, just to name a few. If its supposed to bloom in the spring and it doesn't, that's a good indication of a gross feeder. Then in January or February, I should again give each another dressing. This will help to enhance the growth and color by strengthening the stems and increasing the blooms.

A couple of gross feeders that rely heavily on phosphate are mums and dahlias. Superphosphate should be dug in directly at the root line for them. When planting bulbs, mix superphosphate or bonemeal with the soil in the bottom of the hole. Blooms will have a richer, deeper color.

No comments:

Post a Comment