Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Fern Leaf Yarrow: aka Achillea x Moonshine

Yesterday I took a phone call from a good friend of mine I'd not heard from in awhile. He wanted to chat about my favorite subject: gardening. He paid me a terrific compliment by saying all the garden variety vegetables that I'd endorsed were performing marvelously in his own garden. I was thrilled to hear so. When I recommend a certain variety of perennial or vegetable, or even garden tool for that matter, I do so because I want others to experience the joy of something that works, something that flourishes. That's why I just have to recommend Fern Leaf Yarrow, Achillea x "Moonshine".

When I revamped my entryway flowerbed this past fall, I added five Fern Leaf Yarrow into the design. I loved the intricate, dusty green foliage that does closely resemble fern leaves and bought the plants without having seen them bloom. They were some of the first perennials out of the ground this spring and by mid May, they were blooming. I have not been disappointed. The flowers were not only voluminous but also brilliant in color. In fact, they are so bright, I've been having trouble catching their detail with my new camera. They want to blur because they are so vivid yellow. And staying power---those first blooms two weeks ago look as good as the new blooms that have opened in the past couple days. I kept expecting the long stalks to wither, the blooms to dry up. Not a chance.They've even endured thrashing winds and still look fantastic.



Getting back to the subject of my entryway flowerbed, I have to impart a humorous anecdote. As I stated, I planted five but after they flowered, I realized I could really have used six to more nicely fill out that bed. So off to the nursery where I bought them, Dave and I went. I was browsing the aisles when Dave walked up to me holding a beautiful specimen. Always wary, I checked the tag and quickly informed him that he had the wrong variety. I needed Fern Leaf and he was holding Moonshine. Furthermore, I was certain the flower of Moonshine was not as brilliant as my precious Fern Leaf. This particular nursery only carried Moonshine and we were directed to check their sister store for Fern Leaf.

So off we went, arriving at the sister store only to find that Moonshine was the only yellow to prevail. I even asked one of the attendants who consulted with another attendant if the Fern Leaf and the Moonshine variety were one in the same. We decided they were probably not and since I wanted to include it in my entryway flower bed, it was best not to chance getting the color wrong. Instead, we all agreed I should wait until fall and divide one of my present Fern Leafs if I couldn't find that variety anywhere else.

When I sat down to write the previous posting, of which a photo of Fern Leaf yarrow is pictured, I had to laugh at my own silliness. First, for not having checked my faithful garden journal before heading out to the nursery and secondly, for not having trusted my husband's eye when he kept telling all of us that the Fern Leaf and the Moonshine looked exactly the same to him! There was my Monrovia tag for Fern Leaf Yarrow and when I opened it up to read the inside information, there were the words: Fern Leaf Yarrow, Achillea x "Moonshine". Here's something most husbands don't hear too often---Dave, you were right!



Here's some really great info on Achillea x Moonshine:


  • It flowers almost the entire growing season

  • Great for the back of the border because of its heigth, although I used mine at the front and let it drape down over my boxwoods

  • Cold hardy to zone 3

  • It can take the sunniest spot in your garden

  • Extremely drought tolerant

  • Superior for cutting and drying

  • Divides easily

  • Long lasting blooms

  • A truly great perennial for beginners

5 comments:

  1. Jenn!
    You've done it now! It's in writing!!!

    ---Dave, you were right!

    Sends Tingles down my leg... ;-P

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mike,
    Don't you know it's all just fluff to get him to finish the potting shed!

    LOL,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn,

    I Acquiesce to your Greatness!!!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article! I was actually interested in this plant as an attractant for beneficial insects. Anyone know this to be a fact? Also, I read that the red/pink versions turn back to white after one season, is that true? LOL sorry for the questions, because after reading this article, I'm definately going to give these a shot, and use them in the back of my border anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never knew just how much you can make things grow into beautiful specimens of nature. Now that fall is coming, I miss all of the times I should have came over and experienced the glory of your green thumb. I miss you...Nick

    ReplyDelete