Sunday, July 12, 2009

Double Flora Pleno Tiger Lily

Once again, sorry for the delay in blog postings. I've been fighting an uphill battle with my health for the past eight months, the last three the most arduous simply because I could not find good medical help. Finally, I've found a combination of doctors which I believe have my best interest in mind instead of an interest only in the amount of money to be made. Now, having shared that much---possibly TMI---I'm on new meds, I'm already feeling better, so let's hope I can better divide my time between gardening and writing about gardening!

As most of you know, I love all things garden and the more whimsical the better. So at the end of last summer, when I was perusing garden catalogs and came upon the double flora pleno tiger lily, I knew it was a must have for Blessing Hill's gardens. Right away, I filled out an online order and could barely wait to receive email confirmation that my order had been received. Keep in mind, when ordering some bulbs, the time of year depends on the time of shipping. Usually, lilies ship in the fall so they can be planted and overwinter. Needless to say, I waited all winter to see these awesome creatures. It was worth the wait! I had no idea how prolific the blooms would be and no idea the lasting power they would have. They have been spectacular.

Each flower has 24-36 petals that unfurl to reveal that gorgeous orange color and all those fiesty black freckles. What was really surprising to me was each three foot stem produced a half a dozen blooms per.

I found these bulbs at Van Bourgondien's. I'd like to share my experience with you. I placed a fairly sizeable order and everything but the tiger lilies arrived first and in great condition. When the tiger lilies arrived, I was terribly disappointed. The bulbs were soft and mushy. I found it odd that all the other bulbs were fine albeit the tiger lilies. I did some investigating. I could not fault Van Bourgondien's. The first shipment was sent directly from their business through regular mail and arrived just fine. However, when the tiger lilies were shipped, they went through a delivery service that dropped off at the post office and then routed them out. When I talked to customer service, I pointed out the difference. Not only did Van Bourgondien's ship me all new bulbs, they shipped regular mail, and didn't ask me to return the damaged bulbs. When the second set of tiger lily bulbs arrived, they were fresh and went directly into the ground. To let you know the quality of their bulbs, I planted the damaged tiger lilies, not expecting good results. Every last one came up and bloomed just as beautifully as the second set.

No comments:

Post a Comment