Thursday, July 16, 2009

So You Don't Like Squash: A No Fail Recipe for Even the Pickiest of Eaters

If you can deter the squash bugs long enough for the plants to bloom and set, the bounty of squash is usually overwhelming. In my garden, I have black beauty zucchini, Italian zucchini, yellow crook neck, and yellow zucchini. We are swimming in squash. I don't mind. It's cakes and casseroles and all kind of yummy treats. What I can't use right away is processed and frozen for winter cooking. David and I are vegetable lovers. We eat out of the garden all summer long. This picture tells of the bounty we harvested just last night. A good portion will go to our local domestic abuse center.


I've tried lots of different recipes over the years to make squash palatable to everyone sitting down to the table. Here's the one recipe that even my son, who dislikes most vegetables, will eat:
Yellow Summer Squash Casserole


1 large or two small yellow squash, seeded and chopped
1 clove minced garlic
1 can cream of chicken soup
8 oz sour cream
1 small onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 stick of butter (oh no! oh yes!)
1 pkg Stove Top Stuffing, your favorite flavor
salt & pepper to taste
water

In large skillet, melt butter and saute squash, garlic, green pepper and onion until onion is opaque and squash is tender. Stir in the Stove Top Stuffing. If some of the bread crumbs remain dry, sprinkle with enough water to make mixture moist. Remove from heat. Now add the cream of chicken soup and sour cream. Stir to thoroughly incorporate all ingredients. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour into greased casserole dish and bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until center is set.
I am so going to stuff our Thanksgiving turkey with this very recipe. I can't imagine just how good that kind of stuffing will taste! Fabulous. Now, if that wasn't tantalizing enough, feast your eyes on this collection of homegrown tomatoes. Zowie!!! They are plump. They are juicy. They are happening. I have every intention of cutting into the Black Krim for dinner tonight. I'll let you know.

And just as an after thought, I found a brand new recipe for Chocolate zucchini cake. As soon as I've tried it, I'll let you in on that as well.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment