Wednesday, July 29, 2009

There's Always a Blessing in a Dilemma























I was folding laundry this morning and I came across my favorite gray t-shirt with Mickey Mouse stamped on the front. It was a great t-shirt, v-neck and just at waist length, made out of extremely light, soft material. I spent many hours in the garden wearing it after it was deemed slightly used and relinquished to garden attire. I have been extremely unwilling to banish it to the dust rag bin, its collar so frayed the banding has separated from the material and the material is hanging in holey tatters. Having said that, this morning I finally gave in and made my peace with the Mickey t-shirt so that it could go on and fulfill its next purpose. But, instead of throwing it in the bin, I laid it on top of my desk in my office . . . next to the new laptop computer my husband, David, was adamant that we purchase.

My computer, the one I've been using to write these posts, is ancient. I don't even like it much. It's slow and its cantankerous. I often think about picking it up and throwing it at the wall. However, it's familiar. We came to an impass years ago---we both have quirks and we've learned to live with them. This new piece of technology sitting atop my desk is loathsome. Every time I clicked on something, ten damn boxes opened up, all of which had text and questions I neither had time to read or answer. I couldn't find my documents. I had no idea where anything was. After thirty minutes of complete frustration, I pulled the phone cord and fired up my old boat anchor. At least it works, albeit slow, and I know where to find everything. David, darling, you can have the new one.

I'm not at all opposed to new things. I love the new leather office chair I purchased. And, maybe one day I'll admit I was wrong and actually find a purpose for the new laptop. Thinking along those lines, I'll have to admit that as a Midwesterner, I can be stubborn. Like, I refused to plant sunflowers in my garden because I thought they were cliche. Who doesn't think of the central Midwest when they see a sunflower? Boring. Anyway, upon researching ways to spurn more produce with companion planting, I read that sunflowers and cucumbers have a symbiotic relationship. Planting these two together causes the cucumber to produce heavily. I was up for trying it. The research is in and its favorable. I do think the cucumber produces more when planted next to the sunflower. The sunflower provides shade and it provides the cucumber something to grab onto once it's grown out of its trellis or cage. I'm now drying the sunflower heads so that I'll have seed to plant like this again next year. And, I have to admit, I think their bright, sunny faces are beautiful.

In a previous post, I really blasted those food pantries whose volunteers were taking the best food for themselves instead of using it as it was intended for the needy. As a gardener, I was despondent about it. I have a calling and a talent. God gave me a green thumb for a reason. I was certain beyond a doubt that He wanted me to supply my local food pantries with my garden produce. And, I did. Four area pantries received the best produce I was capable of growing. But growing and donating wasn't the only task God asked of me. I truly believed He wanted me to get that produce into the hands of those most needy and when I watched volunteers skim right off the top, somehow I felt I'd failed God because I hadn't fulfilled His directive. I stopped searching for a food pantry where I could take my vegetables and herbs. However, I didn't stop praying about my dilemma. I'd planted my garden three times more than Dave and I could ever eat. As it began to come to fruitation, I agonized over what I would do with it all.

The squash were particularly heavy and when I brought them in in bushels, I got angry and set about freezing them. I processed enough squash to easily takes us through winter. I watched my freezer fill with yellow crook neck, Italian, and Black Beauty zucchini. I settled them on top of the bags of processed cabbage I put up before them. As I worked, I noticed that my anger was subsiding. I started thinking about all those awesome soups and casseroles David and I were going to enjoy this winter. And interesting enough, once I'd processed all the food we could possibly use, I quit worrying about what we'd do with the excess.

Not long afterwards, people in need began coming my way. A struggling young couple with two small children. Both a relative and a friend, who'd lost jobs. I have an old orange wash tub--- there's a picture of it in my last posting---that I take to the garden when I'm harvesting. It has helped me haul in some heavy loads over the years. This gardening season, whenever someone in need is sent my way, the old tub easily becomes filled to the brim. And, there's enough to share with others not because they are needy but because there's a blessing in every dilemma.

No comments:

Post a Comment